Dear Friends,
This morning, a colleague and I were having a conversation about Alexander Hamilton, that led to a discussion about the role that "compassion for the masses" plays on the platforms of the two parties. The public perception is that the Democratic Party is that one which holds the most compassion for the common man, while the Republican Party is considered to hold a more utilitarian consideration for individuals. The Federalist Party of the late 18th and early 19th centuries was, for the most part, the precursor to what we now consider the Republican Party. The men most associated with that party, John Adams and Alexander Hamilton, shared a similar attitude toward the populace that Adams articulated nicely in this statement: "Popularity was never my mistress, nor was I ever or shall I ever be a popular man. ... But one thing I know: a man must be sensible of the errors of the people and upon his guard against them and must run the risk of their displeasure sometimes or he will never do them any good in the long run (Chernow. Alexander Hamilton. 521.)." There is a certain amount of audacity present in this statement that modern politicians would be wise to avoid, but not because of any error in the statement, rather because of its accuracy.
-LCC
Wednesday, May 2, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment