Dear Friends,
I've been getting lots of good advice lately (I assume it's good anyway) and want to thank everyone who's been offering support.
Here is a list of some of the books I'm reading right now:
The Magic Mirror - Kermit L. Hall
"This book is about the history of American legal culture and the law in action." That is the first sentence of the Preface to The Magic Mirror. So far it is quite accurate. I am not reading this in a traditional manner; rather, I am skimming through it and reading chapters that look interesting. Lots of great stuff here. I highly recommend it.
The Glannon Guide to Civil Procedure - Joseph W. Glannon
This is by the guy who did the E&E for CivPro. So many people have recommended that I buy a book on CivPro that I made it a priority to do so. What sets this book apart is that Prof. Glannon teaches by testing. Every other page has a multiple choice question with a full explanation of each choice and reasons why the right answer is right. I am learning a lot. Let us see how I do when I am tested for real (I hate "for real" but use it anyway. Why?).
The Blessing of Liberty: A Concise History of the Constitution of the United States - Michael L. Benedict
This is the book I keep by the toilet. It is pretty easy to read and has small informative sections. My father gave me an advance copy he had as part of his "Pre-Law for People who were not Pre-Law" packet. Right now I am learning about how common law in England laid the foundation for common law in the Colonies.
In Search of Belief - Joan Chittister
The author of this book is a friend of my mother-in-law. She takes every line of the Apostle's Creed and writes a chapter about it. I read bits of it at the start of the day. It helps to put me in a contemplative mood.
The Deathly Hallows - J.K. Rowling
I actually finished this one last weekend. I like how everything tied together. The most important thing I learned: The wand chooses the wizard. Words to live by, my friends. Words to live by.
I hate the phrase "Words to live by." It should be "Words by which to live," shouldn't it?
-LCC
Wednesday, August 1, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
The rule against ending a sentence with a preposition is one up with which I will not put.
Eric
Why not just say, "I will not put up with that rule?"
Post a Comment