Friday, June 8, 2007

Book list

Dear Friends,

I've never been very good at reading one book at a time. I usually have 4-5 scattered around my house and office so that I will always have something on hand. These are the books I'm working on right now and the places I am keeping them:

Bathroom:

Planet Law School - Atticus Falcon

Not a bad "pre-law school" book, it tends to be a little too cynical at times for my taste. The author, clearly using a pseudonym, did not seem to enjoy law school very much and has a lot of problems with the system. He does offer good tips on supplemental materials though.

Sitting Room:

East of Eden - John Steinbeck

I sit by a window at the front of my house and smoke my pipe (yes, I'm that kind of asshole) and read. Steinbeck is my second favorite author after Roald Dahl, but East is quickly becoming my favorite book. He is not a subtle writer, but no one can match his ability to infuse life into his setting. The land is a character in every story he writes and nowhere is its presence not felt. I love it.

Ancestral Passions - Virginia Morrell

This is a biography of the Leakey family. I have always enjoy paleo-anthropology, and while this book touches on some of the scientific aspects of their lives, it spends more time dealing with the joys and pains associated with personalities that discovery requires. Let me rephrase that, it takes a certain type of person to be a great trailblazer--Louis Leakey was that type of person. His personal life suffered dearly for the sake of his professional life, but today we reap the benefits of his work. Truly great men rarely lead happy lives because so much sacrifice is required for greatness. Aristotle argues that temperance is the virtue most required for the good life. I agree with this. I also am a fan of Hegel's theory about history being moved by the lives of great men and I cannot envision greatness and temperance going hand-in-hand.

Office:

The Glannon Guide to Civil Procedure - John Glannon

CivPro is often considered the most cryptic 1L subject. Per the advice of many, I decided to get a book on CivPro so that when I get to school I will at least understand the vocabulary if not the grammar. This is the book I chose to read after carefully considering my options. I got it used for under $15 and so far am enjoying it. Glannon is a great writer and thoughtful instructor, and I am enjoying this as much as I expect to enjoy any legal textbook.

Alexander Hamilton - Ron Chernow

By far my favorite founding father, Alexander Hamilton is an example that seconds my earlier point regarding great men. While his wife and family brought him great joy, he still had to have been pretty miserable when he was alone with his thoughts. That is probably why he wrote so darn much. General Hamilton was the quintessential workaholic (By the way, I hate this word. It ought to be "workic" insofar as one is taking the word "alcoholic" and replacing the word "alcohol" with the word "work". I understand that it loses a good deal of its charm and that the dumb masses probably wouldn't get it if that change was made, but darn it, I hate poorly made up words. Take "aerotropolis" for example. This word ought to be "aeropolis" if it is to be a word at all. Never mind.) and as a result he led one of the most productive and influential lives in American history.

I'm sure there is a lesson here somewhere.

-LCC

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey. I didn't realize that you were a big Dahl fan--a handful of his stories are required reading in Mr. Brame's class. East of Eden was my favorite Steinbeck book. I was absolutely blown away by the breadth of the story. I wish my entire life were as enormous and eventful as that novel.
Quid pro quo. I recently finished "A Crack at the Edge of the World," which is a geological-based story of the 1906 San Francisco earthquake, and found it unputdownable. I was disappointed by "U and I," which is by one of my favorite authors (Nicholson Baker), about one of my other favorites (John Updike.) I'm reading yet another Bukowski collection, "Notes of a Dirty Old Man," that I picked up at City Lights in San Francisco.
So, there you have it. Keep writing.